Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Why am I a Mormon?

I have been a Mormon my whole life. I was born to parents who are of this faith. I was baptized and officially became a Mormon when I was eight years old. I have always been active in this church, though when I was in college I took it upon myself to learn a little more about other religions. I found it enlightening and enjoyable to make connections with other faiths and see the common ground we all have.
    I've had much opposition to my faith. The area in which I used to reside is near the Hill Cumorah Pageant, one of the worlds largest outdoor theatrical productions, which depicts scene's from the Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ. Our church was started in that region of the country, Western New York. They even teach things about our faith in the public schools there because we are a part of the New York history. Well, I received much opposition which caused me to become like an investigator. Meaning I had to do my research as if I wasn't even a member. It was a very trying time in my life. I had much travail over whether or not this was really what we claimed it to be, or whether it was just another religion. I thought it might be something I was brought up in, though not the one Church of Christ established here on the Earth. It caused me to daily, pour over the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price. I compared tediously the Bible and the teachings it had, with the Book of Mormon. I compared the differences that had been brought to my attention by those who feel very differently about religion than I do. It was the first time in my life that I was really sincerely searching. I was thirsting... yearning for the truth. I didn't care what the truth was, I just wanted to know the truth! I took sufficient time to study and pray. 
     Why am I a Mormon? I am a Mormon because I was open and willing enough to do what God wanted me to do. I not only hit the wall- I went several feet into it. Yet, in His Infinite Love and Mercy, He chose to save me, to guide me by the hand, and show me the path. I can now say, beyond any shadow of doubt, that Christ is our personal Savior, Redeemer, and Friend. He loves us. The Book of Mormon is the very word of God, brought forth in these last days to bring us help and hope. It is on the same level as the Bible and I love them both with all my heart. Why am I a Mormon? Because it is where Christ wants me to be. I know.

No comments: